Emerging partnerships and innovative approaches to power, mobility, and sustainability in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama are accelerating the focus on the energy sector.
How We Can Help You Accelerate Opportunity
- The University of Alabama supports numerous experts and research projects focused on energy technology.
- The Alabama Transportation Institute on the University of Alabama’s campus has focused research on electric vehicles, fuel economy and sustainable transportation infrastructure.
- Alabama Power is committed to new energy and technology innovation.
- The Alabama Water Institute at The University of Alabama focuses on innovative solutions for complex water management, including research on remote sensing, aquatic biodiversity, hydro-informatics and more.
Energy Success Stories
Investing in the Electric Vehicle & Infrastructure
- Launching six electric Mercedes-EQ models by 2022
- $1 billion investment so far in its “Electric First” strategy
- Mercedes-Benz U.S. International (MBUSI) is investing $1-billion in its “Electric First” strategy with the anticipated launch of six electric Mercedes-EQ models by 2022
- Alabama Power Company will offer significant matching funds for a State of Alabama grant program to begin construction of electric vehicle (EV) fast charging infrastructure along portions of Interstates 20 and 59, running from Tuscaloosa to the Georgia state line
Warrior Met Coal
- Leading producer of metallurgical coal for the global steel industry
- Operational capacity to mine eight million tons of coal per year
- Continuously implementing protection measures that support sustainable economic development
Hunt Refining Company
- Capacity to produce 72,000 barrels per day
- Key supplier of quality gasoline and distillate fuels to markets and major industrial consumers in the southeastern United States