Our excellent education infrastructure and collaborative partnerships create smart, ready-to-work employees.
Tapping into our talent pool is truly a wise move. Home to Tier 1 research university The University of Alabama, private liberal arts school Stillman College, and Shelton State Community College, Tuscaloosa County is able to leverage a dynamic atmosphere of learning with effective state and regional workforce training programs to provide the right people for the jobs.
Partnerships in Workforce Development
- Undergraduate population of 1,075
- Among “15 Most Wired College Campuses,” U.S. News & World Report
- Noted for outstanding programs in biological sciences, business administration and teacher education
Other Workforce Training Resources
Alabama Industrial Development Training is a nationally renowned state agency that provides no-cost services to employers and trainees that enhance career technical program offerings at the state’s community and technical colleges, including:
- Recruiting, assessing and training potential and existing employees
- Certified manager, supervisory and team leadership training and development
- On-the-job training and training facilities, including 38 Mobile Training Units
- Assisting with safety compliance, maintenance, continuous improvement/process improvement
Public Schools & Career Tech Centers
Our city and county school systems provide specialized technical training and other career education opportunities. These include:
- Tuscaloosa City Schools and the Tuscaloosa County School District both offer technical and career education as part of their standard curriculum.
- Tuscaloosa Career & Technology Academy, part of Tuscaloosa City Schools, offers instruction in 17 career pathways at its $23-million facility.
- The Bill Taylor Institute, a collaboration between Mercedes-Benz U.S. International, Inc. and AIDT, offers high school and community apprenticeship courses.
Alabama Technology Network
Alabama Technology Network, part of the Alabama Community College System, is ISO 9001:2008 Certified and connects industry leaders with government and education resources to provide workforce training, technical assistance, and engineering services to existing workers in the following areas:
- Continuous improvement
- Environmental health & safety
- Food safety
- Industrial maintenance & technology
- Leadership management and development